Thursday, March 02, 2006

Comparing Java EE5 and RoR

I am planning to post a series of articles looking at setting up an EJB 3.0 environment using JBoss 4.04RC1 and comparing it with Ruby on Rails. I have been doing RoR for the last few months on my testbed programming, and I like it a lot. So you may ask, why switching back to Java/EJB? Well, several reasons, firstly I use the Java/JBoss/EJB combo at work, so everything I learn is far more directly applicable at work. Secondly, Java entusiasts are claiming that the new Java EE 5 will be far easier to start working in. Several ideas explored in Rails, such as no configuration for default situations, annotations, etc. make rapid web development much easier. Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So here we go.

First of all, I made sure that I had Java 5 installed, then I downloaded JBoss 4.0.4RC1. Ran the installer and ran it by going into the JBOSS_DIR bin directory typing.
sh run.sh
at the prompt. And after a few seconds:






















success!

No comments: