Friday, August 29, 2003

One of more wierd interests is following American politics, and especially American presidential elections. I am not even sure why. There is this long standing fascination with the USA, which must have started at around 8 or 9 when I got a Dutch translation of Uncle Tom's Cabin. I still remember crying at the ending. It led to a interest in American history, especially the Civil War and race relations.

I am still fascinated how the US makes a hero out of Martin Luther King, and at the same time votes Nixon in power. More recently, the election (if you can call it that) of Bush has astonished me. I actually was in the US when that whole dispute played itself out, and I still can not understand how he got 50% of the vote. Now I see that somebody like Howard Dean seems to get a lot of traction for the Democratic nomination. What I can see from here is quite encouraging.

No comments: